What to Do when Death Occurs
When a death occurs in your family, you will be faced with important tasks and decision-making during a very difficult time. You may not know what to do or when to begin making arrangements. Bearing the responsibility can be overwhelming. Remember that you are not alone.
Loveland Funeral Chapel is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist you with the details and offer our guidance. The following is a list to help you when a death occurs, and we will coordinate all of the details when we meet with you.
- After a death has occurred, notify Loveland Funeral Chapel by calling (541) 963-5022. The following are some questions that we may ask when you call:
- What is the full name of the deceased?
- What is the location of the deceased (Hospital, Nursing Facility or Residence)?
- What is your name, address and telephone number?
- What is the name, address and phone number of the next-of-kin?
- Is there a pre-arranged funeral plan?
- When you are ready, please call to set an appointment to discuss the details of the arrangements. Please bring the following items to the appointment:
Clothing for the deceased (if applicable)
A recent photograph of the deceased
Veteran's discharge paper
Cemetery information (if applicable)
Pre-arranged funeral plan information (if applicable)
Social security number of the deceased
The deceased's birth date and city and state of birth
The deceased's parents names, including mother's maiden name
Information about the deceased's education and occupation
Marital status of the deceased
- After the time and place for the funeral or memorial service has been agreed upon with Loveland Funeral Chapel, contact your clergy
- Gather obituary information, including a photo, age, place of birth, cause of death, occupation, college degrees, memberships held, military service, outstanding work and a list of survivors in the immediate family. Include the time and place of the funeral services. The “Obituary Helper” is available to assist you in getting obituary information. If you prefer, we will write the obituary and submit it to the newspaper(s)
- Decide on an appropriate charity to which gifts may be made (church, hospice, library, organization, school)
- Select pallbearers and notify the funeral home. (People with heart or back difficulties may be named honorary pallbearers)
- We will prepare the necessary Social Security forms
- We will assist you in determining the number of copies of the death certificates needed and will order them for you.