Charles J. Williams, "Chuck", 76, of Elgin, passed away at Grande Ronde Hospital on July 16, 2013. A Celebration of Life service will be held at the Elgin Stampede Hall on Saturday, July 20, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. Loveland Funeral Chapel is in charge of the arrangements.
Chuck was born March 2, 1937 in Ponca City, Oklahoma to Charlie and Margaret Beulah (Shaffer) Williams. He spent his early childhood on Mt. Emily, some time in the Midwest, La Grande , Oregon and Imbler, Oregon. He lived all of his adult life in Elgin, Oregon. Chuck attended schools in Mt. Glenn, Fruitdale, Imbler High School and attended Elgin High School.
Chuck married Virginia "Tobie" Thompson on July 3, 1956 in Elgin, Oregon.
Chuck was employed as the head electrician at Boise Cascade Sawmill in Elgin, Oregon, until his retirement.
He enjoyed hunting, fishing, horses, and attending sporting events. In his high school days, he excelled at football, basketball, track and boxing.
Chuck was a past member with the Elgin Stampeders and the Eagles. He also was a member of the NRA.
Chuck is survived by his wife, Virginia "Tobie" Thompson Williams; his four children; Brent Williams and wife Leone of Elgin, Oregon; Kelly Griffith and husband Glen of Ione, Oregon; Kanda Gresham and husband Steve of Elgin, Oregon; Keith Williams and wife Stephanie, of Island City, Oregon; three sisters; Betty Smith and her husband Tom of Malaga, Washington; Barbara Jean Kennedy and her husband Jesse of Elgin, Oregon; Leona French and her husband Dick of Baker City, Oregon; brother; Bob Williams and his wife Carolyn of Elgin, Oregon. He also leaves eight grandchildren, eleven great grandchildren, 2 great great grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews; uncle Raymond Williams and also leaves Larry and Betty Thompson of Elgin, Oregon.
Chuck was preceded in death by his parents; brothers Jim Chilson, Donald Williams and Harold Williams and sister Marie Gregory.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Elgin Stampede Hall Fund, in care of Loveland Funeral Chapel, 1508 Fourth Street, La Grande OR 97850.